November 29, 2012

'Tis the Season

Remember that time I was so pumped about NaBloPoMo?

Well, I sort of lost my blogging mojo in or around mid-month. And you know what? I'm not feeling so badly about it. {insert shrug here.} It's not a competition. 

(My waddling mojo? Totally intact.)  

BUT.

Things have taken a turn for the awesome, since IT'S CHRISTMAS CARD SEASON! I've talked about my obsession ad nauseum, but let's do it again! I love this time of year. I love addressing envelopes. I love buying stamps. I love making neat little piles and I basically want to kiss my excel spreadsheet of addresses on the face. 

And if I may pat myself on the back a little bit, they're done



(My waddle is beginning to be prohibitive to, you know, doing stuff. So I'm trying to get everything done for Christmas in the next week or so.)


Want to hear this year's Christmas card trivia stats?
(Bear with me--I'm a geek like that.)


Farthest distance to be traveled by one of our cards: 10,249 miles* (to Annie et al, in Australia)
Second-farthest distance: 7,315 miles to Kwajalein in the Marshall Islands (hi, Florence!)
Closest journey: About 5 feet to our neighbors with whom we share a duplex
Number of U.S. states to which cards are headed: 30
State receiving most of our Christmas cards: Massachusetts (36)
Other high-volume states: Utah (23), Maine (10), and Arizona (9)
Number of foreign countries: 4
"Highest" Zip Code: 99163 (Pullman, WA)
"Lowest" Zip Code: 01730 (Bedford, MA)
Most envelope real estate taken up by an address: Bridget's. It's 6 lines and 22 words (including post codes)
Number of states receiving only one card: 14 (Alabama, Washington DC, Hawaii, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Mississippi, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wyoming)

*I'm sorry, but this never ceases to amaze me. I mean, think about it: I give the United States Postal Service $1.05 (one dollar and five cents, people!!!), and A TEAM OF PEOPLE MAKES SURE MY CHRISTMAS CARD GETS TO SOMEONE'S DOORSTEP IN AUSTRALIA. It's the best deal in town, my friends. Also? Possibly a miracle. 


6 comments:

JosephJ said...

Wait, wait.

We know people in North Carolina?

Huh. I'll have to think about that one.

Jennifer said...

This whole post just makes me smile.

Oh and we haven't even taken family pictures yet, so you are so ahead of the ballgame in my book! :)

Brianne said...

Your Christmas card list never ceases to amaze me. I love the stats. You're awesome for already being finished.

Liz Johnson said...

I am so excited to represent the Hoosier State in your pile! Woohoo!!!

Rachel said...

I am with you in the mailing of Christmas cards. It makes me happy to send and receive paper post. I'm a little behind so don't wait by your mailbox just yet. Glad to represent #3 state.

Bridget said...

I love these stats! Sorry about our address. It's such a pain. And yet, if you leave any part out, it won't get to us. Even with all the address there, it's not a sure thing.

To any lurking plagiarists

All original images and original content on this site are the sole property of the blog author and may not be used, copied or transmitted without express consent. For permissions, you may contact jackjenblog [at] gmail [dot] com.